If you received a gift from Walmart without a receipt, you are probably wondering if you can return it.
In this article, we will find out if you can return a gift to Walmart without a receipt, and if you can, how to do so!
You can return a gift to Walmart without a receipt. The company’s return policy states that if you have no proof of purchase, you can return an item to Walmart with a government-issued ID. You will receive the lowest price tag of the item on a Walmart gift card.
- You can return a gift to Walmart without a receipt.
- You need a government-issued ID to return a gift to Walmart without a receipt.
- The refund will be put on a Walmart gift card if it is over $10.
If you want to understand all the ins and outs of returning a gift to Walmart without a receipt, as well as Walmart’s Christmas return policy, keep reading! Everything you need to know is right here.
Walmart Gift Return Policy
It’s important to note that Walmart’s gift return policy functions exactly as its standard return policy.
While most items are available to be returned within 90 days of purchase for a full refund, there are some rules and regulations that you should be aware of.
- Some Walmart items can only be returned within 14-30 days of purchase, and some are non-returnable.
- You do not need a receipt to return a gift to Walmart.
- You cannot mail gift returns to Walmart.
Now, let’s step through each of these factions of the policy, so you understand it completely.
The standard Walmart return policy is that you have 90 days to return a gift or item for a full refund; however, there are a few items that are only valid for returns for 15-30 days.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Must be returned within 14 days: Undamaged or unopened cell phones. Opened cell phones can only be exchanged.
- Must be returned within 30 days: Camcorders, digital cameras, digital music players, e-readers, tablets, laptops, PCs, televisions, portable video players, video game hardware, GPS units, audio systems, hoverboards, electric bicycles, electric scooters & radio-controlled vehicles.
- Must be returned within 90 days: Everything else! Including food, tires, Walmart private label products, home & garden, clothes, jewelry, toiletries, etc.
- Items that cannot be returned: Mattresses, firearms, ammo, pepper spray, prescription drugs, and gift cards.
As you now know, a receipt is not necessary to return a gift to Walmart as long as it is returned within the above time frames.
The customer service associate will be able to scan the item to see when it was purchased and ensure that it was indeed bought at a Walmart.
The only thing you need is a government-issued ID to return your gift. However, it’s important to note that if the price of the item is less than $10, you will receive a cash refund, but if it’s more, you can only get the refund on a Walmart gift card.
An expensive item worth more than $50 cannot usually be returned without a receipt, but it is technically up to the Walmart associate to decide.
You may still be able to exchange an item over $50 for another product with the equivalent price tag, receive a refund via a gift card, or get store credit if you’re lucky.
Even if you were sent the gift in the mail from Walmart, you cannot return it by shipping it back.
You will have to physically visit a Walmart store and navigate to the customer service desk to initiate a return on a gift, whether you have the receipt or not.
When it comes to buying or receiving Christmas presents, you should also understand that Walmart’s return policy is slightly different during the holiday season.
While the items you can return follow the same guidelines, items with a 14-30 day return window get a little extra time. For any gifts purchased between November 1st and December 25th, the timeline for returns begins on December 26th.
That means if you purchase electronics at the beginning of December for a loved one’s Christmas gift, they still have until January 8th to return it.
You will be happy to know that Christmas returns do not have any extra limitations, and all gifts can be returned without a receipt in exchange for a Walmart gift card with the value of the item.
You can return a gift to Walmart without a receipt! It simply needs to be returned to a customer service desk at a Walmart store with a government-issued ID.
You will receive the value of the product on a Walmart gift card unless it is under $10, then you will get the refund in cash.
Some Walmart items have a 90-day return window, while others need to be returned within 14-30 days, so it’s important to understand which time frame Walmart has allotted for your gift to return it on time.