As a new Amazon warehouse employee, you’re excited to start your first day at work. But you may be nervous if you don’t know what to expect from your first day at work at Amazon’s warehouse.
So, what’s your first day likely to be like at the Amazon warehouse?
On your first day at Amazon Warehouse, you’d be given a badge I.D. and paired into smart groups based on the area you’re working in. You’d partner with a Learning Ambassador who would give you a starter pack and explain what you’d have to do in your work area.
It’s hard for new employees to know what to expect exactly on their first day at an Amazon warehouse. This article can help you know what to expect and how to get through your first shift at Amazon’s warehouse.
Your first day at an Amazon warehouse is known as a “Welcome to Amazon” Day, intended to familiarize you with the company’s culture.
The first day is your introduction to the warehouse. It’s also when you’ll meet your new co-workers, get a tour of the facility, and get hands-on experience with the equipment and procedures in the warehouse.
In addition to learning about what it takes to work at Amazon, you’ll also learn how to work safely around equipment and follow all the best practices for maintaining an efficient and safe environment.
Amazon shifts span 8 hours, 10 hours, and 12 hours with a 30-minute break. Depending on location, shift start times and length vary. Usually, you’ll have three different shifts during your first week.
In some warehouses, new hires work for 4 hours, while in some other warehouses, newly employed staff work for about 10 hours on their first day at Amazon’s warehouse.
What Will Happen on Your First Day at Amazon?
Your first day at the Amazon warehouse may be a very busy one. You will spend the day learning the process of picking and packing. You’ll also need to get acquainted with your new co-workers. Before you start your first day at Amazon, here’s what you should expect:
- The security officer would give you a picture I.D. (either white or blue). If you’re a temporary employee, you’ll get the white I.D.; if you’re a regular employee, you’ll get the blue.
- You’ll be given a piece of paper containing vital information like locker information, employee I.D., and your login details for Amazon A-Z. You can check in and out, request time off, check your payment information, check your schedule, and even resign with the Amazon A-Z app from your phone.
- You’ll be split into smaller groups depending on your work area and paired with a trainer. You’d be shown where the break rooms are and other places in the warehouse.
- You’ll be given a box cutter, a safety vest, gloves, a glove holder, a badge I.D., and a reusable water bottle.
- You’ll be given a tour of the warehouse, which includes an explanation of how things work.
Your job at Amazon’s warehouse could be monotonous sometimes, but nothing stops you from enjoying your new job!
A good start on your first day at work can boost your confidence and determine how well you’ll do in the long run. Your job could also be physically demanding, so you must be well prepared.
To have a great start on your first day at Amazon, here’s a list of things you should take note of:
- Get acquainted with your area of hire and be knowledgeable about the basic things involved in your task. This can make it easier for you to catch up with older staff members, speed up your learning process, and reduce mistakes.
- Be Proactive. Develop tough skin and prepare yourself physically and emotionally.
- Check out the Amazon Warehouse work overview to get an idea of the various roles available for hires.
- Get comfortable work shoes and compression socks since you’d be on your feet throughout the work. This can make you as comfortable as possible.
- Eat well and bring lunch with you. Because of the nature of the job, you’d need to be hydrated and well-fed as your job will likely require you to expend energy.
- Wear proper attire and tuck your hair away from your face. Don’t wear hoop earrings and long necklaces.
It’s your first day at work, and you want to ensure you get off on the right foot. What can you do to succeed on your first day at Amazon, and how can you prove that you’re a valuable addition to the workforce?
- Be punctual. You do not want to start on a bad note.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your Learning Ambassador (Trainer) questions about things you do not know or subjects that need clarification. You can also take notes of the information provided during the training.
- Pay attention to what you’ll be taught. This would help you get the hang of your tasks quickly.
- Be patient. You might initially have some issues using the tools, but you’d get better with time.
- Be flexible and learn to adapt. This would help you cope with the changes that would come with the job.
- Have a growth mindset. This would help you for the first day and throughout your stay at Amazon. If you make mistakes as a first-timer, you’ll need to keep your head up and learn from your mistakes.
Since this is a new position, it’s not uncommon for you to have some trouble getting used to the pace and work ethic of a warehouse environment.
Here are some situations that you could find yourself in on your first day at work:
- You could be in a situation where you’re late from break. Explain yourself to your manager, and you could be given a pass. This shouldn’t be a repeated mistake.
- Due to the job’s physical demands, you could experience some sort of pain around your leg or wrist region. Stretch before, during, and after the job to avoid having sore muscles. Also, remember to stay hydrated.
- You might be mentally exhausted from the pressure to complete a certain number of tasks at a certain productivity rate. Take your time. Soon enough, you’d increase in speed and efficiency.
After you have been assigned to a specific team based on your work area, you and other new employees will be paired with a Learning Ambassador. The learning ambassador will supply you with what you need and all the necessary information to get you started.