Although receiving gifts can be great, often we get things we really don’t want or need.
If you have been given a gift from Amazon this year that either doesn’t fit right or you simply don’t want, you’re probably wondering how you can return it without the sender knowing you didn’t want it. Don’t worry; we have everything you need to know right here.
Amazon makes it easy to return a gift without the sender knowing. You just need the seventeen-digit ID code of the product, sign into your Amazon account, opt to return the gift, send it to the specified warehouse, and get a full refund on an Amazon gift card.
In this article, we are going to discuss how to return an Amazon gift without the sender knowing, as well as what to do if you can’t find the ID number, and even how to return a gift to Amazon Canada!
The most common question clients ask when deciding whether or not they are going to return an unwanted gift is whether or not the sender will know about the return.
Great news: If you return an Amazon gift, the sender will never need to know! Except, of course, if they come over and realize you don’t have the gift anymore, but that’s really out of Amazon’s control.
As far as the actual return goes, the sender will not be notified of the return as the refund will simply be put on an Amazon gift card that you can use on your account for whatever it is you actually wanted. Because Amazon has literally millions of products, having an Amazon gift card is almost as good as having cash in your hand!
The only time when a sender will know if you returned a gift is if the cost was over $2,000, as Amazon requires a payment that large to be returned to the original card.
How to Return an Amazon Gift Without the Receipt
When an Amazon gift package arrives at your door, it should have a receipt inside the box. Because it is a gift, it may not have the price listed, but it will have a seventeen-digit ID number you will need to initiate and complete the return.
If, for any reason, the receipt has been misplaced, you don’t need to panic. There will be a tracking number listed on the shipping label on the box that you can use.
In this case, following the steps on Amazon.com will not work as it requires the seventeen-digit ID code, but you can contact Amazon directly via their customer service line and use the tracking number to request your return. Just follow these simple instructions:
- Call the Amazon support team at 888-280-4331.
- Request a gift return.
- Relay your Amazon account information.
- Submit the tracking number.
- The customer service representative will then send the shipping label to the email associated with your Amazon account.
- Print the label, tape it to the box, and send it back to Amazon.
- Once it is received, you will see an Amazon gift card in your account with the refunded price of the gift.
That’s all there is to it! Luckily, the process is simple, and most importantly, the sender will never know that you returned their gift.
If you do not have the order number, i.e., the seventeen-digit number on the receipt, or the tracking number from the box itself, unfortunately, there are no other options to return a gift without the sender knowing.
You cannot return an Amazon gift without one of these two numbers, without reaching out to the sender and having them find the ID code on their recent purchases page.
If the sender of your gift made the purchase from Amazon Canada, don’t worry, you can still return the gift without the sender ever knowing!
Here’s how to return a gift from Amazon Canada:
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Navigate to the Returns Center.
- Enter the seventeen-digit order ID number from the receipt (this can be found in the box or in your email.)
- Click Search.
- Select the items you wish to return and the reason why.
- Choose your desired return method, the shipping label or Amazon Hub Locker is the most popular.
- Print the label if you opted for return shipping.
- Tape it to the box and send it on its way!
You will then see an Amazon gift card with the refunded price available to use for future purchases in your account!
If you want to return Amazon wish list items, you absolutely can! As long as the purchase was made less than 90 days prior to the current date, the process couldn’t be simpler; just follow the directions listed below.
- Sign into your Amazon account.
- Navigate to the Custom Gift List.
- Select the Custom Gift List where the item is located.
- Click Thank You List.
- Find the items you want to return and select Return or Replace Gift.
- Follow the prompts to return your wish list items.
Amazon will then prompt you to select how you’d like to return the items; if you choose to ship them yourself, simply print out the label and send them with a courier or bring them to an Amazon Hub Locker.
Once the items have been returned, you will receive a full refund on your payment method or on an Amazon gift card if you did not purchase the items yourself.
To return an Amazon gift without the sender knowing, just sign into your Amazon account, navigate to the Returns Center, enter the seventeen-digit code on the receipt, and initiate a return. The sender will never know, and the refund will be put on an Amazon gift card.