Wondering how you can use your credit card without using a physical card?
Many people who don’t have a physical credit card find themselves wondering if they can manually enter their debit or credit card number at Walmart while shopping.
Keep reading to learn more about whether you can do this or not when you temporarily don’t have your physical debit or credit card!
Only cashiers can enter credit or debit card details manually at Walmart, and they must have a physical card to do so. To use your card virtually, if you don’t have your physical card, you can add your card’s information to Walmart Pay and checkout using it.
- You cannot manually enter your credit or debit card without a physical card present when shopping at Walmart.
- Only Walmart employees can enter card numbers manually — but only if a physical card is present.
- To use your card virtually, add the card information to Walmart Pay and checkout using your phone.
While you can’t manually enter your card information at Walmart, you can still use your card virtually. Below, we tell you how!
Walmart doesn’t allow you to manually type in your card number, as this is one way they try to combat theft.
Walmart employees will only manually type in your card number if you have your physical card, yet for some reason the card isn’t swiping right. If this happens, an employee can then manually enter the card number.
However, the physical card must be present. Often, they will also ask for a valid ID that will match the card’s information. They will not do this for someone who doesn’t have the physical card or an ID that doesn’t match.
If you have your card’s information, yet you temporarily don’t have your card (it’s in the mail being sent to you, etc.), you can virtually use your card at Walmart. To do this, you’ll have to set up a Walmart Pay account.
To do this, you should:
- Download and open the Walmart app
- Make an account, if you haven’t already
- Click on “Walmart Pay”
- Add your card’s information as your preferred payment method
- Set up a PIN for easy checkout
- Once you’re ready to check out in-store, scan all your items at a self-checkout aisle
- Open your Walmart app again, head to Walmart Pay
- To pay for your items, scan the QR code that appeared on the self-checkout screen
It’s that easy!
Most retail stores will not allow customers to manually enter their credit card information. Similar to Walmart, they refrain from doing this as a way to combat fraud and theft.
Stores may choose to do this if they see the customer’s card isn’t swiping correctly. Then, with the physical card present and an ID check, they may manually put the information in.
But other than that, most stores will not allow manually entered cards.
Walmart does not allow customers to manually enter their credit card information when checking out. Occasionally, an employee may only do this if a customer’s card isn’t swiping correctly. However, they will only do this if the card is actually present.
You can virtually use your card by using Walmart Pay. You can add your card information to Walmart Pay, then pay through your phone when you check out at Walmart!